Questions to guide your reading before you come to class
For Wednesday 9/12:
- Based on the articles by Donath and boyd & Ellison, what defines “social media?” What differentiates social media from other media (if anything)?
- How does identity become an important factor in communication via social media?
- Why do boyd & Ellison prefer the term “social network sites”?
- What does Beer take issue with in boyd & Ellison’s piece?
For Monday 9/10:
- How did the video (An Anthropological Introduction to YouTube) address the following concepts: empowerment, community, participant observation/digital ethnography, context collapse, private/public, self, recognition, voyeurism, authenticity, legality?
- What are Baym’s 7 key terms for talking about communication and media technologies? How are they defined?
- What are Baym’s 4 discourses of new media technologies?
- What is a “netizen”? Do you think you’re a “netizen”? What kinds of things might not be as accessible to you if you weren’t one?